Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Let the Peace of Christ Rule

Col. 3:12-17 (l)

This is a great passage. I hardly have anything to say - except how poorly I put it into practice, and how much I need to work on that.

Some time ago, when I first started exploring "MySpace", I was interested in a "Christian" discussion group. I put Christian in quotes because the group was so large that there were many people of various Christian stripes - including virulently judgemental, hyprocritical, condescending, and self-righteous ones who insisted on abusively attacking anyone who didn't see the world and gospel precisely as they did (even if the topic being discussed had nothing to do with any complaint they could bring). (You can see I still have some hard feelings about this.) So I put Christian in quotes because they would call themselves "Christian", but I could see precious little of whatever I would consider Christian in their behavior or thoughts. For me, Christianity is an embracing, empowering, encouraging gospel that pushes the boundaries and makes us re-evaluate our parochial interests. I go the impression that, for one vocal person in particular, Christianity was an exclusive, fixed, condemning thing that demanded obedience rather than love.

So when I first read this scripture - speaking of dealing with others in meekness and patience, forgiving each other, and above all clothing ourselves in love - I thought I should have quoted this as a defense against this young man's attacks. I considered emailing the scripture to him, in lieu of a demand that he deal with others more kindly, and by way of a demand that he apologize and treat me more kindly. Aha, I thought, another scripture to use against him!

And then, as it tends to do, the scripture turned on me. Have I forgiven this boy? Have I given up my complaint against him who wronged me? Am I clothing myself with humility - not assuming I know what's best for him or others? Am I clothing myself in love? Is the Peace of Christ ruling in my heart? I must re-evaluate myself in this encounter with the scripture.

I have a tough time with forgiveness, generally. At least, when it takes me unawares. If I'm prepared for being wronged, I can be quite generous. But if it surprises me, I find myself unwilling at some level to let it go. I need to work on this.

So even if I'm not at the point of thanking God for the arrogance and cruelty of this boy in his offence against me, I can be thankful that I am still challenged by the gospel in transformation. Thank God for the scripture turning on me - making me realize how much I yet need to clothe myself with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness and patience.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home