Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Why "flannelectio"?

Why not?

But, more seriously, Lectio Divina, the practice of reading and meditating on scriptural passages is an ancient spiritual discipline. A discipline, frankly, I'm not very good at, and could use some practice.

Lectio Divina, isn't often written, and although I certainly could use more time when I don't feel compelled to produce something, I find it helpful in retrospect to come back to lectios I've done before. So I offer this as much to my future self (selves?) as to my own spiritual present.

My task here is to meditate on a scripture - probably one in the upcoming lectionary schedule - and simply reflect on it. Without the more historical research and literary criticism and skepticism that I usually approach texts with. I want this to be a time when I just encounter the text. I don't imagine that I'll not have criticism, or that I won't also at times be surprised and moved. And, in all honestly, there will likely be times when the work doesn't seem all that fruitful at all. But that's the point, I suppose: no pressure to be particularly fruitful... just honestly, thoughtfully, prayerfully engage the text as scripture.

I'd like to offer a prayer at the beginning of this discipline:
Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home